Finding the right auto insurance coverage for your classic car in Ohio can be difficult. What coverage should you buy? Which company should you buy from?
First, and most important thing: You are far better off insuring your vehicle with a company that specializes in classic vehicles instead of insuring it with a regular auto policy!
There are several reasons why having a specialized classic car policy is better than having it insured with a regular auto policy:
The fact is, most regular auto insurance claims adjusters have little experience when it comes to damage to classic cars. Even the most seasoned claims adjusters have problems with accessing damages to classic vehicles. They're not experienced in handling claims on classic vehicles.
Nor are they experienced with knowing the difficulty in finding the right replacement parts to adequately replace a covered loss. That's why it's important not to skimp on corners when it comes to buying classic auto insurance!
Yes, there are a few major auto insurance companies who cover classic / vintage autos. But look carefully at those policies and be sure to read what is actually covered. Typically, you only get what traditional auto insurance policies cover. You do not get the extra care that you do with companies that specialize in classic cars:
Bottom line is, if you own a very special vehicle, you need to take care of it properly. Get quotes only from those companies who specialize in classic vehicles. There are plenty of companies that specialize in classic car insurance. I chose Hagerty and American Collectors Insurance as my main classic car insurance carriers. If you would like to get a quote with both of these companies, simply click on the link below and fill out the easy classic car insurance quote form.
Get a Classic Car Insurance quote
Before you buy insurance on your RV, travel trailer or fifth wheel camper, you want to make sure that you have the right coverage. Here in Ohio, there are specialized coverages that are offered for RV's, motor homes, fifth wheel campers and travel trailers that are not available in other types of insurance.
These specialized coverages include but are not limited to:
Don't make the mistake of thinking that these coverages are expensive "add-ons". Many of these specialized coverages are surprisingly inexpensive. Most of the above coverages are as low as several dollars per year.
Also, once you're aware of the different coverages available, it is important to shop around with other RV insurance companies to find the best rate. Or simply get a quote with an independent insurance agent who can do the shopping around for you.
Insurance companies all have different tastes for what types of RVs they like to ensure. That's why getting a quote with multiple companies helps you find the best rate. To get an RV quote with my agency, simply click on the link below. I will find you the company with the best rate!
Get an RV Insurance Quote
8 Point Checklist to determine a good RV Insurance policy from a lousy one
With a DUI on your record it is imperative that you shop around for the cheapest insurance rates. Insurance companies have different tastes as for the risks they are willing to take. Some companies go easier on DUI's than others. Some auto insurance companies won't write insurance at all if someone has a DUI on their record.
That's why it's important to get auto insurance quotes from multiple companies with a dui on your record. If you only get an auto insurance quote from one or two companies, you're merely doing a crap shoot for the lowest rate. You need to get quotes from multiple companies. The easiest way to do that without being bombarded with phone calls is to contact an independent agent. An independent agent can take your information and do the shopping around for you.
One word of caution: Do not fill out an online auto insurance quote form from a website that does not have a person(s) name listed with their contact info. Any website which offers auto insurance quotes but does not put a person in front of it is nothing more than a lead generation site. These sites do not sell insurance at all! They merely collect your information, and sell it to other insurance agents. Doing this will not only clutter up your mailbox, but it will also ring your phone off the hook! Rule of thumb: If you do not see a human being or at least an address or phone number, stay away!
The companies I carry all go easy on DUI's, and all offer SR22 filings. You only need to fill out one quote form and I will run your information through and find the company with the lowest rate. And as always, I handle all quotes personally and privately.
Get a Quote Here If You Own a Vehicle
Get a Quote Here If You Do Not own a vehicle.
Out of State SR22 Auto Insurance Filing: Living in one state and needing an SR22 filing in another
Buying boat insurance coverage in PA is easy. But finding the right coverage for your boat depends on several factors that sometimes gets complicated. It is very common for a homeowner that buys a boat to simply attach the boat to their homeowners insurance policy. It is simple and easy to do. And it usually costs a few bucks less than a stand alone boat insurance policy. However, as you are about to see, there are major shortcomings with coverage using that strategy.
When you compare a stand alone boat insurance policy versus a boat attached to a homeowners policy (HO), there is no comparision! Stand alone boat insurance coverage wins over a boat attached to a HO every time:
Other coverages not usually found on a HO policy that are usually found on a stand alone boat insurance policy:
Of course these coverage options will vary between one company and another. But as a general rule of thumb, stand alone boat insurance coverage is always superior. It's also important to note that stand alone coverage for boats is usually only a few dollars more than a boat insurance policy attached to homeowners. So therefore it's well worth the few extra bucks for the much better coverage.
Get an Online Boat Insurance Quote
10 point checklist to see if your Boat Insurance policy has excellent coverage
Finding the right classic car insurance insurance coverage at the right price can be tricky. But it is still very doable. There are 5 key points that you need to be aware of before you get a classic car insurance quote.
1. Attaching your classic car onto a regular auto insurance policy is a big mistake! Claims adjusters from regular auto insurance companies have little to no expertise regarding what it takes to repair a classic car. Having a claims adjuster who specializes in classic cars will cause a lot less headaches in the long run, if you happen to be in an accident.
2. Have you registered your classic car as a historical vehicle? In Michigan, having your classic car registered as a historical vehicle automatically saves you 80% on your MCCA fee. That is a huge savings of $140. After July 1, 2013, it will save you $148 (because the required MCCA fee goes up from $175 to $186 on that date). There are other criteria that apply for a vehicle to be eligible for a historical plate, but the main criteria is that the vehicle is at least 25 years old.
3. Don't be afraid to shop around. There are plenty of excellent classic car insurance companies that offer affordable rates for great coverage. I personally chose Hagerty an American Collectors Insurance as our carriers because of their solid reputation in paying out claims. But there are other highly reputable classic car insurance companies besides what I carry. They key is to stay within only those companies who specialize in classic cars.
4. Make sure your classic car is insured on an Agreed Value basis, and not insured on an Actual Cash Value basis. Many regular auto insurance policies will only cover the vehicle on an actual cash value basis. Most vehicles depreciate very quickly. Classic cars do not fit well on an actual cash value basis because they tend not to depreciate (and with many collector cars, they appreciate with age).
5. There are other coverage options for classic cars that are not available on a regular auto insurance policy. These include:
If you have any questions that I didn't cover, feel free to call me at 740-574-2618, and I will be happy to go over any concerns or questions you have.
Get a Classic Car Insurance Quote
Dan Lyles is an Independent Insurance Agent serving Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia..