A little common sense goes a long way. It doesn't take a data-collecting study to know not to drink and drive, or not to text and drive. But to see exactly to what degree certain driving behaviors are directly responsible for traffic fatalities sheds a whole new light on how serious some of these behaviors are.
The study was conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is a division of the US Department of Transportation. Data was collected from both auto and motorcycle fatalities. The study identified the 13 driving behaviors that lead to the most fatalities, along with the pencentage of fatalities that each behavior was responsible for. So.... without further adieu, here's the list
Driving behaviors reported for drivers and motorcycle operators involved in fatal crashes.
1. Driving too fast for conditions or in excess of posted speed limit. 20.8%.
2. Under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication. 13.8%.
3. Failure to keep in proper lane. 9.2%.
4. Failure to yield right-of-way. 7.2%.
5. Driving distracted (phone use, talking, eating, etc.) 7.1%.
6. Operating vehicle in erratic, reckless, careless or negligent manner. 6.0%
7. Over correcting/over steering. 4.8%.
8. Failure to obey traffic signs, signals or officer. 4.2%.
9. Swerving or avoiding due to wind, slippery surface, other vehicle, object, nonmotorized in roadway, etc. 4.0%.
10. Vision obscured parentheses rain, snow, glare, lights, buildings, trees, etc. parentheses. 3.0%.
11. Driving drowsy, asleep, fatigued, ill, or blackout. 2.6%.
12. Driving wrong way and one way traffic or on wrong side of the road. 2.5.
13. Making improper turn. 2.3%.
* Other factors combined for 15%. 10.5% of fatalities were unknown, and no causes were reported for 29.8% of fatal crashes.
** These numbers add up to more than 100%. That's because in some cases, there was more than one behavior that lead to a fatal crash.
Get an Auto Insurance Quote with Lyles Insurance
Related Blog Articles:
Video: 13 Deadliest Driving Behaviors
Dan Lyles is an Independent Insurance Agent serving Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia..